Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Day

"It's a sign..."
He exclaimed,
"The good Lord has arrived!"
You pray to something you believe but can't see with your eyes.
Is it that I'm too blind to notice?
Or too stubborn to care?
When it all falls apart,
am I to believe someone's there?
Overlooking my "path" that "He" has set from the start.
Put the blood in my veins that now runs through my heart.
Placed my brain in my head and my feet on the ground.
Makes the images in my sight and in my ears, places sound.
The omnipotent? Almighty? Oh, God...give me a break.
If you're really there, then why do I feel so fake?
Every minute of the day, we play as your pawns.
From sunrise to sunset, from dusk until dawn.

Am I to give thanks, believe, attribute my life
to someone, or something, I can't see with my eyes?

"But see, without eyes...I see without mine,
I see my God right here, even though I am blind."

Maybe it's the concept, with which I disagree
that your God is her God, and he is also with me.
When we all believe something completely unique
We're all too quick to jump up and judge and critique.
And I dislike your religion, and you dislike my beliefs.
Only, I'll let you pray, but you just won't let me be.
So I say we give thanks to our own desires
with no prerequisites or justifications required
I say we give thanks to the sun and the moon
without which we'd have not night nor a noon
I say we give thanks to the sound of the Earth
what she says when we sleep, and how she smiles at our birth
I say we give thanks to one another always
cause we're all self-sustaining in so many ways
And I give thanks to you
no matter who you are.
Because no matter how different our beliefs
or how we live day to day
we are all one in this world
we are all one in the same.


(Happy Thanksgiving to all, even though that may be the most awkward way you've ever received Thanksgiving wishes and by far the most awkward way I have delivered them.)


No comments: